Power8 is almost here and it was worth the wait with as much as 50% better price performance – yes, half the cost of Power7 Plus!
On April 28, IBM will unveil a new generation of Power Servers that dramatically improves price performance and value, and adds new cutting-edge capabilities, while at the same time lowering the total cost of ownership (TCO). The coming announcement shows IBM’s long-term commitment to power as it continues to drive leadership and innovation in business servers and processor power.
In early May, IBM will start the Power8 rollout with entry level P05 and P10 Power Servers with dramatic increases over their Power7 Plus predecessors.
Some highlights of IBM Power8 include:
- Twice application performance gains vs. Power7 Plus
- More innovative core architecture, doubling most resources
- Three times the processor capacity
- Cores grow from 8 to 12
- Twice the core performance
- Four to 8 times the current memory (i.e. P05 grow from a max of 64GB to 512GB)
- Addition of virtualization and cloud management
- Increase in core throughput
- Enhanced memory bandwidth
- Ability to access and move data faster with up to four times the memory and I/O bandwidth
IT Jungle published an article in February talking about Power8 and how it is increasing performance and reducing energy. Click here to read the article. There will be more to come in the next few weeks.