Why are so many businesses looking at tapeless backup solutions to modernize the backup of their mission-critical data?
Tape backup has many shortcomings. It is expensive to store tapes in an off-site facility. Tapes are often vulnerable to obsolescence and can be lost or stolen when being transported off site. They can also deteriorate over time. With companies operating in a 24/7 world they need reliable backup that is easily accessible when systems fail or other problems occur.
Companies of all sizes, from small and mid-size to the large enterprise data centers, are moving to tapeless backup. Disk-based backup solutions consist of either Virtual Tape Libraries or off-site vaulting or a combination of both and these solutions offer many advantages over tape solutions. Some of the key benefits include:
- Greatly reduces backup time with fastest backup times up to 6TB per hour.
- Eases restore enabling data to be available at all times.
- Meets compliance requirements for safe and off-site backup.
- Easy capacity upgrades where companies never need to worry about upgrading to the latest tape format. They simply upgrade by adding additional disk drives.
- Eliminates the need to manage and store tapes.
- Provides de-duplication capabilities (100:1 compression).
- Offers high security options with advanced encryption features.
- Provides high availability with mirrored and cluster units assure availability at all times.
Just like audio and video cassette tapes, tape-based backup solutions are a thing of the past and if your organization has not yet made the move to tapeless backup, now is the time.